A vacationing Army veteran was at his hotel in Florida when he heard blood-curdling screams coming from down below. As soon as he looked, he saw a crowd of people gathered around a boy, and once he realized what they were doing, he took off running just as fast as he could to intervene.
The incident unfolded on Monday, when Carlos Mullen and his fiancée, Christina Lamothe, were vacationing in sunny Orlando at one of the city’s most famous resorts, FOX35 reported. The couple was relaxing in their third-floor room when they heard screams unlike any they had ever heard before, alerting them to an issue down below.
“I hear this blood-curdling scream. People were just screaming,” said Lamothe.
Mullen said when he looked over the railing, he saw a kid laying there with a group of people gathered around him. Not one to back away from trouble, the Army veteran took off running.
“He yells something and he just rushes down three stories because we’re on the third-floor,” Lamothe said.
When he made it downstairs, Mullen discovered a 6-year-old boy unconscious on the ground, and people were begging for help. Apparently, the little boy was swimming when he went under and inhaled a great deal of water before being pulled onto the deck. Fortunately, Mullen’s training paid off in a major way after having been in high-stress situations before.
“I looked in this kid’s eyes, and I’ve seen shock on a man’s face before,” Mullen said. “This kid had that look.”
Mullen immediately started performing CPR on the boy, and before too long, there were signs of life again.
“I was able to do what I had to do to get the child a heartbeat,” Mullen said.
Westgate Resorts, where the terrifying incident occurred, doesn’t have a lifeguard on duty, but they post numerous signs letting people know that swimming is at their own risk, which the company told the news outlet in a statement. However, it’s important to note that most resorts aren’t required by law to have lifeguards on duty due to the shallow depth of their pools, which usually aren’t any deeper than four or five feet and have the depths across the pool clearly marked to warn swimmers.
Knowing that resort pools usually aren’t attended, Mullen and his fiancée wanted to remind others that it’s up to those using them to stay vigilant and look out for each other.
“If you see something going down, don’t be afraid to jump in and help,” urged Mullen.
But the best part of the story is when he was asked whether he believed himself to be a hero. Like a true hero would do, he demurred the question, instead pointing to those he felt truly acted heroically.
“Not at all,” he answered. “The heroes are [the boy’s] brothers. His brothers pulled him out of the water.”
I think it’s safe to say everyone can share in a little bit of the heroism in this one, and kudos to Mullen for a truly selfless act. He didn’t have to run to the pool, but in doing so, he saved the life of an innocent child, who otherwise may have died at the pool’s edge. For those wondering about the boy, he spent the night in the hospital for observation and was released the following day. So good job, Mullen, I’m sure his family is extremely grateful.